"URBAN TAILS, Racin' for Rescues"



Urban Tails 2018 – racin’ for rescues was an initiative brought in by Meet My Pet which recently launched an app integrating all pet related services (check it out on Facebook and drop a like!) and our club joined hands with them in order to provide them the think tank and human resources needed for the event. It was formed as a scavenger hunt based around Battaramulla area spanning from Diyatha Uyana to Ape Gama and Diyasaru Uyana with about 85+ participants running on foot and getting on buses to perform their tasks.


The whole purpose of the event was to make sure everyone who participated had maximum fun and a day worth the price they paid and the feedback we received proved just how well we had done it. We set off at around 9 in the morning with two shifts to the number of tasks they had to face. Our facilitators were at each task point to help contestants and give marks. The tasks they faced varied from counting fish, to eating seeni sambol buns and drinking weniwalgata, to throwing wet sponges at each other, to fishing soft toys, to taking selfies in buses and so on. Trust me, if I was a contestant that would have been the most fun I’d have had for a while and I wouldn't mind the price I paid for it even if I didn’t win. Various artists such as Sachini, Sena were there to perform and of course what AIESEC event happens without lots and lots of Jives? Tatyana and Rohitha were the chief guests for the event and all funds collected were given to Animal SOS Sri Lanka.
This is the top most part of the ice berg which I’m sure anyone who were present there saw, let’s take a look at the glacier that was under the ocean now. Ranuka and Reema who joined us from Meet My Pet were the project sponsor and owner and facilitated us with most of the arrangements we couldn't have done on our own. For us they were our mentors and teachers. From the point of booking the grounds to getting the equipment and doing the dry runs they were with us every point of the way, and online promotions were done through both our respective pages and an event page that had been put up. Work before the event basically consisted of briefing and grouping contestants, preparing the clue sheets, arranging the equipment, briefing the facilitators, designing committee t-shirts and booking the grounds, all of this was done within a span of one week. It was quite difficult to finalize on the tasks but once that was done everything pretty much fell in to place super-fast. Most of the work was done on or before the day in my perspective.

At the end of the event day most of us were the most sun burnt we had ever been, tired as ever but the fact that the event was a huge success was worth it all. Our contestants had really enjoyed themselves and even the Faci’s who facilitated by witnessing them. I knew it had ended and I couldn’t decide whether I should let the day go or have it rewind up all over again if I had the chance. Organizing an event such as Urban Tails I think is something that will develop leadership skills vastly and give an immense amount of exposure to the corporate world. We could’ve have gone wrong somewhere, make the biggest mistakes that can’t be reversed, but somehow at the end of the day we ended it with flourish, an event that would be remembered in the years to come. And I am humbly proud of my team for pulling off such a task. It was the first of its kind organized by any AIESEC LC and thankfully JLC got the opportunity to host it. So, Meet My Pet, thank you again for giving us this glory.

Hands down Urban Tails is the most fun I’ve had during this year and the reason I say that is because of the people I worked with. Their friendship is the best thing I got out of my endeavor from working for Urban Tails. I don’t think it would have been possible to do it if not for the beautiful human beings who were in my OC. Trust me it took us some time to norm the group as the event was the first of its kind but once that was done we were storming and performing and my team mates didn’t hesitate once to sacrifice anything and everything whenever their help was needed. Our bond developed to such an extent that we would later after the event travel from Galle to Colombo to drop our friends and return, irrespective of the time waste and fuel cost. Road trips with them have become a must have no matter how far the journey is.

My OC is a combination of very different people with their very own quirks and I think that is why we fit so well too. We have the youngest in the group who has the dirtiest mind and you would not believe me when I say he is an exceptionally qualified person with his face on leaflets but cannot identify a U turn from a right. We have the eldest in the group who is also our selfie king, who tries to talk some sense in to us sometimes but usually just gives up and joins in the end because he is powerless. Silent most of the time maybe because he can’t keep up or he thinks we are all stupid. :p

The joker of the group (which later evolved because now I think we are all jokers) who constantly has something funny in his head to say. Possibly the weirdest of all because recently I found him giving publicity to random department events just for fun. We have the philosophical and poetic one, always sharing life lessons, love lessons and depression. The one who is surrounded by girls with glass shoes, But has yet to find his Cinderella. You would think he’s peaceful but no he recently sent song lyrics to face book users. The best being the song “Saragaye” to a person named “Saraga Yeh”

Then we have the tiny explorer, who is feisty (doesn’t make a big difference because she’s too small) and sweet at the same time. Who randomly tells the funniest things. Has a lot of Asma’s and Ahmed’s as friends and has a kind heart to the core. She stands up for injustice and is empathetic for everyone around her. We also have the sleeping beauty who can sleep anytime, anywhere and in any angle too. (example - sleeping face down with legs up) she has the capability to function for days without food, loves solitude and is the best partner who'd never say no if she’s your friend.

And I, am their mother as they so fondly call me. together we crack the dirtiest jokes, share our inner most secrets, feelings and thoughts and the best thing about us is that we are our very own genuine selves with each other and no one is going to judge anything. there is so much of love and care passing around for every single member and I know the foundation we have is rock solid. (we are also fans of F.R.I.E.N.D.S so I guess it’s better to say I'll be there for youuu...)

I am happy that Urban Tails this year ended with a high note giving it plenty of chances to happen again in the next year and the year after that. I cannot wait to see the next person taking in charge of the event and how well they’re going to perform because Urban Tails is a project worth continuing. For me it was one of the best memories of my life and if I had the chance I would relive it again and again. I hope if you are a Faci, or a contestant reading this you would be too.

Comments

  1. One of the best events in JLC history. Well done Kamesha and the team for creating this gem of a day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An event to remember for a life time and Cheers to all the memories that we still cherish.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts